How to reduce food waste at home and away
Reducing food waste is possible: here's how
The aim of this article is to provide you with a series of useful tips on how to reduce waste at home and, as much as possible, outside.
These are the precautions that we have learned over the years and that we adopt on a daily basis:
- Check what you already have in the pantry and in the fridge and freezer : you need to know what you already have so as not to forget products and waste them
- Periodically reorganize the pantry and the fridge: empty everything, look at the expiration date and start using what you already have
- Plan meals for the week and month - you'll save time, money and effort and ensure great variety
- Create your smart shopping list : a precise plan will help you buy what you need
- Go shopping with a full stomach and with specific goals
- Use the FIFO logic, first in first out, even in the pantry : the products you bought earlier are placed in front of the last products you bought and not vice versa.
- Dedicate a morning to meal prepping , first using all the foods you already have in cases, and then moving on to the new ones
- After processing the vegetables, use the scraps for an excellent vegetable broth
- If you think you have too many onions and carrots, for example, chop them up and put them in ice cube trays, in order to have convenient single doses ready to use
- If you have some sad but not yet rotten vegetables , boil them with other vegetables and create a velvety soup to be enjoyed with a drizzle of oil
- If you've overcooked risotto , try making risotto al sauté, rice meatloaf, or tomato rice balls—they're all very mouth-watering options
- If you have several leftovers, even in small quantities, try to imagine them differently : as a filling for savory pies, vegetable pies, baked meatloaf.
- If you cooked too much polenta: call me :) or turn it into polenta chips, botched polenta, baked polenta, grilled polenta
- If you cooked too much gravy, freeze it! There is always a need for gravy, when you least expect it
- Talk to your friends or neighbors: maybe they could use your pan of leftovers
- Create some scary snacks with leftovers and your lunch break will be even tastier
- At the restaurant, ask for the doggy bag and the cork to take away your bottle of wine too
Do you think you have enough elements to reduce your food waste? Do you have any other tips to share? Write us in the comments.